How We Collect Information
We may collect personal information about you in the following ways:
(1) directly from your verbal or written input (such as by consenting to receive marketing emails or indirectly through third parties with whom we work closely (see below “Information We Receive From Other Sources”);
(2) automatically through our website technologies including tracking online, such as by Web cookies (which are small text files created by websites that are stored on your computer), by smart devices, by combining data sets, by collecting data from a browser or device for use on a different computer or device, or by using algorithms to analyze a variety of data such as records of purchases, online behavioral data, or location data; or
(3) by closed-circuit television (if visiting our premises).
Information You Provide
The types of information that we collect directly from you or through your use of our websites and services may include the following depending on how you interact with us:
- Contact details, such as your name, email address, postal address, username, and telephone number;
- Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses used to connect your computer to the Internet;
- Educational and professional interests;
- Tracking codes such as cookies;
- Payment information, such as a credit or debit card number;
- Comments, feedback, posts and other content you provide to us (including through our website);
- Communication preferences;
- Purchase and search history;
- Location-aware services, the physical location of your device in order to provide you with more relevant content for your location;
- Information about your personal preferences, and interests; and
- Communications with other users of our services.
- In order to access certain content and to make use of additional functionality and features of the website and services, we may ask you to register for an account by completing and submitting a registration form, which may request additional information.
If you choose to register and sign in by using a third-party account (such as your Facebook account), the authentication of your login is handled by the third party. We will collect your name, email address, and any other information about your third-party account that you agree to share with us at the time you give permission for your account to be linked to your third-party account.
Information We Receive from Other Sources
We may receive information about you if you use any of the websites we operate or the other services we provide. We also work closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners and sub-contractors in technical, payment, and delivery services; advertising networks; data and analytics providers; academic institutions; journal owners, societies, and similar organizations; search information providers, and credit reference agencies) from whom we may receive information about you.
Use of Your Information
Depending on how you interact with us, We may use your personal information in the performance of any contract or transaction we enter into with you, to comply with legal obligations, or where we have a legitimate business interest. Legitimate business purposes include but are not limited to one or all of the following: providing direct marketing and assessing the effectiveness of promotions and advertising; modifying, improving, or personalizing our services, products, and communications; detecting fraud; investigating suspicious activity (e.g., violations of our Terms of Service, which can be found here) and otherwise keeping our site safe and secure; and conducting data analytics.
In addition, with your prior, explicit consent (where required), we may use your information in the following ways:
- To provide you with information about products and services that you request from us;
- To send you periodic catalogs;
- To provide you with information about other products, events, and services we offer that are either (i) similar to those you have already purchased or inquired about, or (ii) entirely new products, events, and services;
- For internal business and research purposes to help enhance, evaluate, develop, and create websites (including usage statistics, such as “page views” on our websites and the products therein), products, and services;
- To notify you about changes or updates to our websites, products, or services;
- To provide, activate, and/or manage our services;
- For internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, machine learning, testing, statistical, and survey purposes;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service; an
- For any other purpose that we may notify you of from time to time.
Personal information will not be kept longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. This means that, unless information must be retained for legal or archival purposes, personal information will be securely destroyed, put beyond use, or erased from our systems when it is no longer required or, where applicable, following a request from you to destroy or erase your personal information.
Please write to [email protected], if you have any questions about this policy.